Where in the world is....?

Wednesday, March 07, 2007

What a way to celebrate

What a better way to celebrate an engagement than to throw yourself off of a suspended platform into a deep gorge? Bungee jumping at the Nevis Highwire was a pee-in-your-pants experience that I'll never forget, but will probably never repeat. With regards to statistics, the drive out to the jump site was probably more of a risk than the actual jump, but no one wants to read stories or see pictures of the bus, so I'll stick to describing my "perfectly safe" adventure. The bungee jump actually begins with a traverse over to a platform house suspended across a deep canyon. Here we buckled up,stared through the glass floor at the river below, and each patiently waited our turn to take the big leap. 134 meters is a long way down, and considering that the cords stretches to a length of 124 meters, you can imagine how short 10 meters can feel when you're hurtling headfirst toward a seemingly impending death. Notice my hand gripping the nice jump-coach's hand in the second picture and you'll get a sense of the sheer terror I felt as I scooted out to the edge. But thankfully my bungee bungeed and I foiled death once more, living to tell the tale and giving my parents even more reasons to pray for me at night.




1 Comments:

  • It is probably best that I did not know you were doing this until after the fact!!! It is probably best that I was not there to watch you do it!!! It is probably best that I not think too much about your jumping!!! However, if it was on your list of things to do in your life, I am glad you can now check that one off and go on to safer and more normal activities - you do have safer and more normal activities on your list, don't you?
    Love you,
    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 12:51 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home