Where in the world is....?

Friday, August 11, 2006

Same, same; now different

My new obsession: Oreos. Before you yell about me "not being engaged with the local culture" let me explain....

Apparently, everything in SE Asia is "same same." It's a phrase that every local knows and can be used for price bargaining, ticket booking, food ordering, and any other activity where someone can convince you to order/buy/reserve at their shop rather than another, because they all offer similar services and goods. Phil and I have also taken to using this phrase to describe the recent menu offerings of SE Asia...same, same...same, same. Don't get me wrong, I love noodle soup, pork with garlic, fried peanuts, and fried rice, and each region does have a certain specialty and local flavor; but after a while, I've just got to have something different.

Oreos: My only previous obsession with these delicious chocolate biscuits was a few years back when the Mint Oreo was released; my tastebuds recognized this new flavor as a remarkably similar substitute for Girl Scout Thin Mints, a luxury I previously only enjoyed once a year. This obsession only lasted until I saw the nutritional contents on a package, and I've honestly not touched them in years. However, now that I can't read the nutritional info on these heavenly tubes of choclate joy, I've rediscovered oreos as a hint of American goodness that is widely available even in the remote reaches of Laos and Cambodia (remember that slow boat? kids would hop on at mid-journey riverbank stops and sell you oreos and pepsi).

On the surface, I agree; it's a terrible thing to travel abroad and constatly seek out imported food from home. Travellers should sample local specialties and enjoy the same readily available snacks that the average SE Asian villager eats while squatting on his front porch. But after three months, I've decided that I deserve a treat from home every now and then...oreos it is.

5 Comments:

  • Do you dip them in goat milk?

    By Blogger Barry, at 1:54 AM  

  • you're regressing :) back to childhood, when double-stuffed oreos were the BEST and when the nutritional information didn't matter at all...
    -v

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 2:42 AM  

  • OK now I have to go to the grocery and buy a package of Oreos. You have made me hungry for them. Have you been able to find diet coke in SE Asia? The little bit of home that can be enjoyed abroad should be enjoyed with gusto - Savoring the flavor and the memories!
    mom

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 3:12 AM  

  • Double stuff oreos are the best; indulge. Chocolate is a necessity in any country. Mother knows best; I do hope you've found some Coca-Light! Love, j

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:33 AM  

  • Carmencita...

    Once again impressed with your writing abilities. Oreos, huh? you and Dukes should comiserate; she had a chilhood obsession with the world's number one cookie as well.

    Good to hear from you/see some pictures. I may have to come to you for some html advice, seeing as how you seem to have it down.

    You're great!

    By Blogger Mark Clayton Hand, at 6:24 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home