Where in the world is....?

Friday, July 28, 2006

Don't believe them....

Don't believe them when they tell you....

"no problem, you can take bicycle to see the temples" (guesthouse owner renting us the bikes)
Though many of the Temples of Angkor are certainly within biking distance of the city, a two day bicycling tour of the extended loop around the area should not be taken lightly. Our circuit covered over 80 kilometers of bumpy, dusty roads (my bum still hurts), where I had to hold my head down to keep from breathing in the exhaust from passing motorists and tuktuks. The glorious photos I took of myself in front of Angkor Wat will always remind me of our journey, as you can clearly see the layer of grit covering my face and teeth.

"you want to go to the national museum? no, it is closed. no, you cannot walk there to check, it is very very far from here" (motorcycle taxi driver in Phnom Penh)
Desperate taxi drivers will say absolutely anything to make you climb on board. Thankfully Philip and I had a map of the city to consult along with a schedule for the museum. A two minute walk north of our location led us right to the gates of the beautiful (and open) museum.

"no, it doesn't hurt at all" (beach hawker in Sihanoukville offering to tweeze my leg hair one by one using a small string and baby powder)
Ingenious as this method may be, it still hurts like the dickens and shoud never be agreed to for large surfaces. As soon as she began, searing pain began radiating down my legs; I grimmaced with each hair she ripped out. She simply laughed and said "no pain, you must be strong." I'm apparently not...a two inch bald spot on my shin speaks of my weakness.

1 Comments:

  • Carmen,
    I just finished reading through all your blogs and I thoroughly enjoy hearing about all your adventures. I love hearing your side of the story after I have read Philip's. :) It sounds like you guys are having an amazing time. I just got back from Nicaragua after three weeks and miss it severely. I had a wonderful time there. I can't wait to share more later. Hope all is well with you. Keeping you in my thoughts...

    Much love,
    Christina Yurchak

    By Anonymous Anonymous, at 6:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home